The fresh new 1.85 release (available now on the app store) came with an extra spoonful of special sauce: the Quick Switcher for iPhone. (Not on iPad. iPad support coming soon. Needs more sauce.)
Many will be used to using the Quick Switcher on desktop, but here are a few pointers on how to do it mobile-style — and a few general iOS tips while we’re here, because why not?…
Quick guide to switching quickly with the Quick Switcher
- Swiping right with the channel list open will swish you to the Quick Switcher.
- Swiping left with the Quick Switcher open will return you safely to your previous channel/dm.
- Tapping the “Go” keyboard button will magically jump you to the top search result, even with a partial search (i.e. typing “Gen” and then tapping the “Go” button will take you to the #general channel)
- Switch teams by typing “Switch” or “<team name>”
- You can view a list of all channels (even ones you are not currently a member of) or a list of all users by typing “#” or “@” respectively.
And other magical things:
- Swipe left or right with three fingers to quickly switch teams. Admittedly this is made easier if the phone is on a surface or you happen to have one extra arm, but still: Useful!
- In any channel, one long press on the channel name will offer the option to mark all messages as read.
- Swipe left or right with two fingers to go forward or back in your channel/dm history. Back. And forth. And back. And forth. Allllllll day.
- Did you know you can copy/paste images directly into the message input field for quick sharing? You do now! Because you can!
- Share photos directly from your photos.app by tapping the share button and then selecting Slack (if you can’t see the icon, scroll along until you see “More”, then choose Slack from the list. You can then move it up to the front of the list, if you like.)
- Long press on any message in a channel to “Mark Unread”. This allows you to set the unread line wherever you’d like, so you can revisit those messages later.
(Android users: You have not been forgotten! Quick Switcher will be coming to Android too, as well as many other good things! There will be handy tips for all mobile platforms soon! Yay! Exclamation point!)